Max Verstappen likes post accusing Red Bull of "bullying" after sacking Liam Lawson
- Publish Date
- Friday, 28 March 2025, 4:00PM
Daily Telegraph UK
Max Verstappen has “liked” an Instagram post from former Formula One driver Giedo van der Garde accusing Red Bull of “bullying” Liam Lawson. It came after the New Zealander’s demotion to Racing Bulls was confirmed by Red Bull on Thursday.
Verstappen, the four-time world champion, is understood to be unhappy about Lawson’s treatment, arguing the 23-year-old ought to have been given more than two races to prove himself.
The Dutch driver’s actions raise further questions about his relationship with the Milton Keynes-based team after serious tensions arose last year following allegations from a female employee aimed at team principal Christian Horner.
Horner has since been cleared of those allegations by two separate internal investigations, but speculation that Verstappen might seek to move before the end of his contract in 2028 has persisted.
Red Bull confirmed on Thursday morning that Lawson and Yuki Tsunoda would switch teams with immediate effect, with Tsunoda stepping up to the senior Red Bull team at next week’s Japanese Grand Prix, and Lawson moving to junior team Racing Bulls.
In a statement, Red Bull said Lawson’s “difficult” start to the season, which has seen the New Zealander struggle badly in both Melbourne and Shanghai – he crashed out in Australia and qualified last in both the sprint race and the main race in China – had convinced them it would be better for him if they pulled him out of the firing line just two races into his Red Bull career.
However, Van der Garde, who drove for the Caterham F1 team in 2013, said he was “tired” of the narrative that F1 was the toughest sport on earth in terms of delivering under pressure.
“Yes, you gotta perform. Yes, the pressure is insane. But in my opinion this comes closer to bullying or a panic move than actual high athlete achievements,” he wrote. “They [Red Bull] made a decision – fully aware – gave Liam two races only to crush his spirit.
“Don’t forget the dedication, hard work and success Liam has put in his career so far to achieve the level where he is now. I remember my own blood, sweat and tears – and that was to reach F1. Let alone driving for an absolute top team. Yes, he underperformed the first two races – but if anyone’s aware of that it’s himself.
“Perhaps he has suggested this [switch] himself, but if not I wish Liam all the strength and courage to get to the grid in Japan. Trust yourself, get your head up, prove them wrong. @liamlawson30”
In their statement on Thursday, Red Bull said they were making use of their unique position as the only team on the grid with four race seats, arguing it was kind on Lawson.
Team principal Christian Horner said: “It has been difficult to see Liam struggle with the RB21 at the first two races and, as a result, we have collectively taken the decision to make an early switch.
“We have a duty of care to protect and develop Liam and together, we see that after such a difficult start, it makes sense to act quickly so Liam can gain experience, as he continues his F1 career with Visa Cash App Racing Bulls, an environment and a team he knows very well.”
Horner added that Tsunoda’s greater experience – the 24-year-old has completed the second-most races for Racing Bulls/AlphaTauri/Toro Rosso with 92 entries, and 89 starts, behind Pierre Gasly with 106 – played a big part in the decision.
The RB21 has been built and developed according to the preferences of four-time world champion Max Verstappen, who has proved the only man capable of extracting much from it for much of the past 12 months.
Previous teammate Sergio PĂ©rez found its predecessor RB20 increasingly difficult to drive before being bought out of his contract in December. Lawson has found RB21 virtually impossible to get to grips with.
Verstappen is second in the drivers’ championship, behind McLaren’s Lando Norris.
“We came into the 2025 season with two ambitions, to retain the World Drivers’ Championship and to reclaim the World Constructors’ title and this is a purely sporting decision,” Horner said.
“We acknowledge there is a lot of work to be done with the RB21 and Yuki’s experience will prove highly beneficial in helping to develop the current car. We welcome him to the team and are looking forward to seeing him behind the wheel of the RB21.”
Tsunoda will make his Red Bull debut at his home race in Suzuka next weekend, with his sponsor and the team’s engine supplier Honda understood to have been crucial in making the switch happen.
This article was first published on nzherald.co.nz and is republished here with permission